16 replies to this topic

#1 kimh

kimh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 05:31 AM

hi there

is there anywhere other than here that those studying these courses are? I have been looking for others but haven't found anybody.

I am keen to chat and encourage each other as we study this road together.

I am currently studying US10161 and US 10164

Kim

• Batmids and RobertSeby like this

#2 AmandaK

AmandaK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:57 PM

Hi Kim

I'm starting the Architectural Technology diploma next week, how are you enjoying it?

I will be doing CON101, CON102 & DAT106 this trimester which must be the new version of the course, but can't be that different from what you're doing.

Let me know how you're getting on with it, keen to chat to others on the same journey :)

Amanda

• ArchitectSarah likes this

#3 3519746

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:37 AM

Hiya,

If anyone is keen to get in contact for something like a study group I'd be happy to support it. I'm studying 10166 at the moment but I'm sure we could share knowledge from the papers that we have done. I'm available by email or Skype, which ever works for people

My email is j_s92@hotmail.co.nz for those who are interested.

This seems to be one of the niche subjects that the open polytech teaches, so we need to stick together xD

Cheers,

Jordan

#4 Katmumof4

Katmumof4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:08 PM

Good morning, I'm currently waiting for my course to start. Only doing two papers this trimester CON101 and CON 102. Hoping I am not the only one starting this year

#5 3519746

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:58 PM

Hey!

You're likely not alone. If you want to communicate my details are above, it would be nice to chat with fellow students :)

#6 Viv

Viv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:21 PM

Hi still trying to get my head around Open Polytechnic online.  I'm doing ND5351 National Diploma in Architectural Technology Level 6.  Not sure if I'm in the right place to be communicating as I'm finding it abit hard locating where everything is.  Yes even though I've got my course materials I don't officially start til 7th March.  Is there a study plan of the overall course and when assignments are actually due rather than just the piece of paper stating when the paper starts and ends.  I've tried locating this online but can't seem to find anything.  I know there's are couple of us from UCOL last year doing this course.  Got told at last minute that UCOL wasn't doing the 2nd year and that we had to enroll with Open Polytechnic.  Anyways enough of my chit chat. Hope to keep in touch with everyone and help over the year. :)

#7 Vicky (OP Admin)

Vicky (OP Admin)

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:19 PM

Hi Viv

We can get you further assistance in regards to assessment due dates and help navigating online from either your tutor or the Technical Team. If you'd like to give the Customer Services a call on 0508 650 200 or email via customerservices@openpolytechnic.ac.nz, they will be happy to talk with you. Thanks. 

#8 Viv

Viv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:23 PM

Thx Vicky is the 0508 a free calling number?

#9 Vicky (OP Admin)

Vicky (OP Admin)

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:24 AM

Hi Viv

The 0508 650 200 is 100% a free calling number. The customer services team are available Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm. 

Thanks! 

#10 ArchitectSarah

ArchitectSarah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:04 AM

Hi, I'm wanting to study for the diploma in architecture, but I'm not sure if an online, distance education course is for me. I would like to know how it compares to an in-class course. Freedom of time management and location make sense, but how do others find having tutors and fellow students out of easy reach for help or discussion?

#11 Blair

Blair

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:07 AM

Anyone else studying towards this? I have just started my first trimester (CON 101, CON102 and CON104) and I am OK in some areas but stressing out in others. In a traditional classroom environment, I'd just get some advice from a few other students and that should settle everything down. But this distance concept is extremely problematic when you don't know anything about the subjects before you start. 

I'd like to hear from others. I am currently trying to get my head around studying from distance in a field I have zero experience or prior knowledge in. I'm struggling to bridge that gap and assignments are looming. Assignment 1 for CON104 is especially difficult and it's only the first assignment.

Students don't use the subject forums for discussion, the tutors don't reply to your forum questions, the student support email is not for academic advice and these forums seem pretty poorly populated. It's a week before the deadline for full course refunds and I'm 50/50 about whether I should stay enrolled.

Anyone out there?

#12 Open Polytechnic

Open Polytechnic

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:59 PM

Hi Blair

Thank you for your post. We understand that support from our tutors is really important while studying by distance. We have forwarded your comments to the School of Science, Technology and Engineering and they will be in touch with you today to discuss your concerns.   

#13 missyfoxie1989

missyfoxie1989

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:03 AM

Halo, I am studying the same as Blair and I also find it very difficult.... especially the assignments!! Like what format do they want? Is it an essay assignment, is it a report they want, they don't specify and I have two days left for my first assignment.... I have all of my research at least but I have no idea in what format I should write this assignment... very very frustrated! Can anyone please guide me in the right direction.... 

#14 Vicky (OP Admin)

Vicky (OP Admin)

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:02 PM

Hi Missyfoxie1989 

We are currently in touch with the lecturers of your study to find out the format required for your assessments. We appreciate your patience at this time and will be in touch as soon as we are advised. 

#15 Blair

Blair

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 11:30 AM

@Foxie. I assume you are doing CON102 as that had an assignment on December 1st. For that one, I wrote it out more or less as a question and answer assignment using the questions themselves as headings.

The next one I have to complete is for CON104. There aren't any word limits or marking schedules/weightings. All we have is a 60/20/20 split over sections. There is plenty of room for specifics that might give us an idea of what areas will need more attention over others. Of course this isn't a massive impediment to completing the assignment, but it comes back to my point that people who are new to this industry need as much guidance as you can give them.

An assignment mark return time of less than 3 weeks would be useful too. By the time I find out my mark for my first assignment (CON102. 21st Dec) it will be week 8 and the halfway point of the trimester. By that point, I would like to know whether I am truly on the right page.

It seems like the experienced types just put their heads down, ignore the forums and work backwards from the assignment briefs because they know more or less what they're doing. Instead of learning the material and completing the assignments, I imagine it's easier just to 'cheat' and read the assignments thoroughly and then pluck the relevant information from the fact sheets. I'll probably be doing it this way by the end of the trimester.

#16 ArchitectSarah

ArchitectSarah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:23 AM

To answer my own question from September 2016, I chose going to school and being in a classroom.  No regrets there.  Loving it!

#17 Blair

Blair

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:05 AM

Good to hear Sarah. (If you're still out there)

I don't live in any of the main centres so I can't switch to an actual classroom environment. Whether I like it or not, I have no option but to continue with OP, or to call it quits all together.

The difference between distance and classroom learning that I am feeling the most is that there is no demonstration of process here. It's really hard to visualise what an assignment will look like when I haven't seen a worked example. I have a couple assignments coming up that require me to design and draw foundation, roofing and bracing systems. I have no idea where to start and I don't know what a finished version looks like. It's all too theoretical.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users