2 replies to this topic

#1 BrandyS

BrandyS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:51 AM

OK so this referencing is really driving me nuts.

HOw do you cite or directly quote from an online PDF? Is it the same format as a webpage?

• Dallasml, oamarumum, uapedsib and 1 other like this

#2 Jade

Jade

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:25 PM

Good question Brandy. APA can be frustrating!

When you in-text cite, the format follows in the main:  source author(s), date of publication and page number (Fields & Young, 2011, p.10).

Citing from an online pdf may or may not be the same as citing from a website. If you let me know what the source is I can give you specific guidance.

As an example, pagination may be the same or different depending on the type source:

When the pdf has page numbers, then use those. If there aren't any, you can use para. (i.e. paragraph and the number after it e.g. para. 1) which is the format  used for a website that doesn't have page numbers. If the paragraph has a section heading, you can also add that e.g. (Benson, 2006, Discussion section, para. 1).

With in-text citing, if there isn’t a source author, use the title of the source. You can also use (n.d.) if the source doesn't have a publication date.

Does that assist? You can also call the library on the Freephone 0508 650 200 for help with referencing or email library@openpolytechnic.ac.nz.

Jade Furness, Reference Librarian

#3 BrandyS

BrandyS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 12 April 2015 - 11:12 PM

Thanks Jade. Sorry it took me so long to reply :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users