• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rachlf

rachlf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:00 AM

Hi, I'm Rachael, 23 years old, I currently reside in Dunedin and I have Depression brought on by Anxiety. I have experienced this on and off since I was 10 years old.

I want to open a topic of discussion not for misery feeding, but for general life hacks that people with mental illness have found useful especially around study. (years of counseling have taught me that no one person has the right)

I have just started studying again after taking a break from studying because of my mental illness. This though has created a new anxiety I find myself frozen right at the start.

Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone have any advice?

• Johnnyton, Ronaldbok, RachelB and 1 other like this

#2 Leanne (OP Admin)

Leanne (OP Admin)

Admin

• Administrators
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:24 PM

Hi Rachael

Thanks for starting this topic, its great to see students wanting to help each other and talk about the things they are experiencing on their study journey.

Really looking forward to seeing students talking to each other about this very important topic.  In the meantime, there's also a helpful blog post dealing with the subject of 'study anxiety syndrome' in our blog section at http://community.ope...-study-anxiety/

Leanne

• RachelB likes this

#3 AmyDeerie

AmyDeerie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 02:42 AM

You're definitely not alone.

I am struggling with a paper right now. Its my first level 7 and I am struggling with fear and anxiety towards it. I almost unenrolled a few days into the course, and then got myself into the mindframe "no, I can do this! 50% is a pass!" so then began the paper..... a few days later, here I am back to being terrified, the contents and the time its going to need and I am... just... terrified of it... I know I have until the 29th to unenrol and get a refund, but I'm so sad/mad because its also the last paper in my diploma, but its also only run once a year...! ...do I struggle on?

#4 rachlf

rachlf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:39 PM

Hi Amy

I'm sure you can do it as you must have passed the first year already.Best advice I can give is to beak it down into more manageable chunks so that you are not looking at the whole thing at once. Breath, yes 50% is a pass and nobody asks latter if you passed with all As or all Cs. I understand that fear can be paralyzing. Just go easy on yourself. Forgive yourself if you were unable to study today maybe tomorrow will be better. Just keep chipping away at it a little bit at a time. The tutors here seem really great maybe you could email your course tutor if you are feeling really suck and ask for some tips on where to get started or where to go next.

kia kaha, stay strong.

We all have times like this and I know when I am experiencing it I forget all my own advice and the advice others have given me. Sometimes I just need reminding. So I hope this has been helpful. Let me know how you get on and what you decide.

#5 AmyDeerie

AmyDeerie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 07:07 AM

Hi Rach, I actually unenrolled today after having another panic attack over this paper, I think this is the best decision for me at this point in time - its no good stressing myself sick.

#6 rachlf

rachlf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:59 AM

Hi

Sorry to hear that. It sounds like you have made the right choice for you and a very brave choice. I hope you get better soon.

Good Luck

#7 Earl Intemann

Earl Intemann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationTe Awamutu

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:04 AM

Hi Rachael, I can say I've got much the same problems.  Depression from early teens, Social Anxiety and Panic Attacks, its totally not an easy thing to go through life with.  I have got mine mostly under control with counselling and drugs now, but it takes a long time to get that sorted as well.  

#8 RachelB

RachelB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationPorirua

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:03 AM

Hi!  I can definitely relate to these posts.  I have really bad anxiety and depression.  I haven't done any online study before, so I'm not sure how this will all work out, but I did my law degree at Victoria Uni while I was working (in a legal team - glutton for punishment!) and had massive anxiety, panic attacks, severe depression, the works. 

I'm hoping the papers I'm studying now will be a bit 'lighter' - both in terms of workload (the readings for law school were insane!) and in terms of being a bit more interesting.  Not that law wasn't interesting - I loved it and I'm working as a lawyer now - so maybe I mean varied. 

The thing I'm most wary about is the never-ending nature of study.  Even if you've done enough to pass, and to pass well, there's always something else you could be studying - some more reading, another edit of that assignment, prepping for exams. And letting go - once I've handed an assignment in or finished an exam I have so many new ideas for the work that I beat myself up about what I didn't include - instead of trying to accept that I did my best at the time. 

Anxiety and study go hand in hand - so I'd love it if we can support each other through this stuff!!!

Rachel  :)

Porirua, Wellington

Studying for Post-grad Dip Bus 2015-2016

#9 blondy

blondy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 03:34 AM

hi there everyone,

I have suffered from a mental illness since i was 13.  i am finding it hard to get motivated. 

#10 Jaana

Jaana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationTaranaki

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:53 AM

I am so glad I stumbled across this topic. I suffer from anxiety and depression which is the reason I chose the open polytechnic. I didn't want to be that girl that had a meltdown in a class full of people, just thinking about it would set me off. I have a breathing technique that I use called the 4-7-8 breathing. It helps sleep but i find it also helps when i start to feel overwhelmed and start panicking. When it was suggested to me I rubbished it, but finally gave it a go and it really seems to work. you are thinking about your breathing so hard that you forget about other things. well that is how it works for me. Google 4-7-8 breathing and it gives you a step by step on how to do it. 

• kayla17 likes this

#11 kayla17

kayla17

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:02 AM

hi there everyone anxiety and depression is horrible . one thing i do that helps is i use this lavender spray from countdown  i spray it on my pillow at night before i go to sleep it helps heaps. i also do mindfulness colouring in before i go to bed to help relax they have some really cheap Mindfullness colouring books from kmart and the warehouse and the $2 shops for colouring pencils. also there is a sleep chakra i listen to off my iphone on youtube in the backgtoundthat plays when i go to sleep. and theres this healtheries chamomile lemon balm and passionflower tea that helps ease anxiety before bedtime and magnesium forte from Pakn Save $10.99 really good for anxiety too. I hope this helps. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: psychology, mental illness, anxiety, Depression

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users