1 reply to this topic

#1 Danielle

Danielle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:03 PM

Hi fellow study buddies,

I am turning to you for help and advice to improve the way my centre currently practices our karakia kai.  We have recently initiated a rolling kai which means that the children choose when they come for kai and we have changed our mat times and now children choose whether or not they want to participate.  This has affected the meaningful implementation of our karakia kai.  Now the teachers are singing it to the children in the kai room a number of times as children come in.  I am just wondering if anyone has seen some examples or strategies of how other centres who may have a rolling kai practice their karakia.  Should we be bringing all the children together before each kai time to initiate karakai in a meaningful and respectful way or is it ok to sing it to the children a couple of times in the kai room.  Any thoughts, ideas much appreciated.

• EdwardCic, GregorySn and uapedsib like this

#2 EbonyLennane

EbonyLennane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:17 AM

I just realised this post was posted back in 2014, I think with a rolling Kai Practice maybe do the Karakia as a whole group first and then let the children come and eat when they feel like it. On the Marae when there are visitors coming in and out (especially at a tangi) the Kaumatua will bless the food once and when people are ready to eat they are more than welcome to help themselves. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users