19 replies to this topic

#1 Avi

Avi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationTe Kuiti

Posted 25 June 2017 - 11:24 PM

Anyone doing Nz Dip in architecture technology???

#2 NikkiH

NikkiH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:56 AM

Hi Avi

I'm studying architectural technology also. I am only signed up to the first paper. what about you? 

• Avi likes this

#3 Avi

Avi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationTe Kuiti

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:40 AM

Hey Nikki

wishing you all the best for your first paper, i have finished my 1st and 2nd paper recently, it went alright. i have also signed up for 3rd n 4th paper

#4 NikkiH

NikkiH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:54 AM

Oh thats awesome. all the best for you also. I'm eagerly awaiting the study materials to be put up so i can make a start asap.

maybe we can keep in touch with each other during our journey.

have you studied before? 

#5 katew9@hotmail.com

katew9@hotmail.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:03 AM

Hi Avi,

I am doing this also. I have done DAT 101, DAT 102 and doing DAT 103 and DAT 104 this trimester coming.

• Avi likes this

#6 Blair

Blair

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:12 AM

Same here. I'm in my third trimester. I've completed CON101, 102, 103, 104, 105 and 106.

Currently enrolled in CON107, 108 and DAT101.

I hear there is a Facebook group for Open Poly Construction and Architecture students. Does anyone know the name of the group?

#7 Kads

Kads

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:32 AM

Hi there!

Im doing this course too! Finished CON101, CON102 last trimester and doing CON104 and DAT101 this trimester.

Anyone working in the architecture/ construction industry?

I live in New Plymouth with my husband and 6 month old baby and have been studying while on maternity leave. I have to get back to work in a few months though and I was wondering how easy/ difficult it is to balance study + work + family.

Any thoughts on this?

What are your stories like? I would love to hear from you!

#8 Blair

Blair

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:13 AM

CON101 and 102 might be the two easiest courses in the whole program. I found CON104 to be dificult because the assignments weren't explained very well. You spend as much time wondering what the assignments really want you to do as you do on the assignments themselves. The trick is to keep asking your tutor as much as you can. That's what they're there for.

• Kads likes this

#9 Kads

Kads

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:55 PM

thanks for that Blair! I find it a little intimidating asking tutors questions about assignments but I guess I should give it a go this time

#10 Azul

Azul

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:34 AM

Hi, my name is Azul and just started the Diploma in Architecture technology. I'm only doing the first paper at the moment. Good luck to everyone.

#11 Sophi48

Sophi48

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:37 PM

Hi everyone! My name is Sophi and I’ve just started this trimester, I’m enrolled in CON101 and DAT101. I wasn’t sure what the workload would be like so just guessed that I could manage 2 papers, I’m looking forward to figuring everything out a bit better.

#12 Blair

Blair

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:26 PM

Depending on your experience, DAT101 will be significantly more work than CON101.

#13 Sophi48

Sophi48

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:33 AM

Thanks for the heads up Blair :) Is that the case with most of the DAT courses because of them being more practical/project based rather than just written assignments?

#14 Blair

Blair

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:53 AM

CON101, 102 and 103 centre around the module readings.

CON104 - 109 centre around the Building Code and any relevant NZ Standards. It's mostly conceptual and just report format assignments. So long as you can relate your answers to the code or standard then you're fine.

The first 2 assignments for DAT101 (The only DAT course I have done) require basic CAD skills. I did it hand drawn and it was extremely time consuming. The final assignment (which I failed) is hand drawn but requires you to piece together building details from the Buildng Code and NZ3604. This was my third trimester and I felt a bit ambushed by that course. This is where the challenge of distance learning comes in. It is also a challenge of distance teaching.

You have to push the teaching staff to actually teach you. OPNZ works on the assumption that most students don't need help completing their assignments, otherwise they'd be swamped with work. Most people in these courses are paying $600 for an assignment marking service. But if you are struggling then you have to be the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. Email your tutor and if you aren't happy with your answers, contact the programme leader. 

#15 Sophi48

Sophi48

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:44 AM

Thanks so much for all that advice! Yea I had a look over the DAT101 assignments and noticed that they could be done by hand or CAD, this confused me though because I couldn’t find anywhere that explained what CAD package to use, or how to access it.. I notice that Revit and AutoCAD have free versions for students or are they only expecting people who work somewhere with CAD to do it that way?
I’m sorry to hear that DAT101 was so stressful for you :( did it all work out alright in the end??

#16 Blair

Blair

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:42 AM

I'm pretty sure that OPNZ haven't always said that CAD knowledge is a must have, the live info on the website lists it as a requirement while the pdf brochures don't. The expectation would be that you should at least be learning CAD as you go. AutoCAD and ArchiCAD are the two I have been told to look into. They both offer academic versions and tutorials.

As for DAT101, I'm resubmitting my last assignment this Friday. Objective: get over the line.

#17 Sophi48

Sophi48

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:49 AM

In that case good luck!!

#18 Cdono

Cdono

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:24 AM

Hi Sophi

I am still doing some papers from the old course. I had no CAD experience when I started an found Open Polytechnic totally unhelpful in this area. Even a simple outline about programme requirements would have been useful. Archicad have a free student programme which I have used. I have a friend in a design office who uses this programme which has been helpful. Because I had no CAD experience I used some of the papers that had less intensive drawing requirements as practice on CAD before I got stuck into the big drawing papers. This made it much easier when it came to doing lots of CAD work. Catherine 😀

#19 Blair

Blair

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:34 AM

Even a simple outline about programme requirements would have been useful.

This bit exactly. I thought that 'CAD' was the name of the specific software program in the same way that Word or Photoshop are. I didn't know it was just an umbrella term for a number of specific programs. I think that because the majority of students have some sort of industry contact (that's the impression I get) it's assumed that the simplest things don't need explaining. Often, it's the simplest information that is the hardest for an expert to explain.

(And I passed after my resubmission.)

#20 Sophi48

Sophi48

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:15 PM

Yay good job Blair!! Yea I’m really surprised there isn’t better guidance about CAD because the course seems to go from first principles for everything else :/
Thanks heaps for that advice Catherine :) I’ve downloaded ArchiCAD, yet to give it a go though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users